Sailpower .. low winds = big E-output
New design captures high levels of energy from low wind speeds
This is particularly important in areas of constant but low-level wind, and this includes reduced wind level night operation (when solar panels are dozing).
The Tradewind turbines have a number of key design benefits:
1. Capable of high energy capture for its height (only 10 metres) and swept area
2. Effective in low wind speed ranges, starting at just 3 metres per second of wind
3. Operates across a broader range of wind speeds than conventional turbine designs
4. Low turning with low visual impact, generating high torque
5. Quiet in operation with low environmental impact
6. Wildlife friendly (the first turbine ordered is providing power to a medical clinic in a Kenyan game reserve)
7. Low manufacturing cost using globally available components and manufacturing techniques
8. Dual purpose – generates electricity or provides mechanical power for pumping
Square Rigger performance data:
Electrical output 7 kilowatts and it will generate over 7,000 kilowatt hours per year at a low mean wind speed of just 5 metres per second.
Will pump in excess of 360 cubic meters per day at a mean wind speed of 8 metres per second
The Square Rigger has undertaken trials with the UK MoD for providing renewable power to forward operating bases and the UK Coal Authority for providing a renewable energy wind pump for the management of contaminated water from mining.
Square Rigger markets:
The Company sees huge potential demand, domestically and around the world, for on and off grid electricity production and for pumping applications in mining, agriculture for drainage and irrigation, water provision, treatment, management, aeration, fish farming, desalination, conservation and associated sectors.
About Tradewind Renewable Energy:
Tradewind Renewable Energy Ltd was established in December 2009. Research and Development has been undertaken over three years both in-house and in conjunction with a knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Exeter University. Tradewind has been funded by a combination of: private equity; Cleantech matched loan funding; Springboard loan funding; and a Grant for Business Investment.
The Company is currently seeking additional funding and joint venture partners/licensees domestically and overseas to facilitate large scale manufacture and sales of the Square Rigger.
Detailed design, technical information and contacts can be found on the Company’s website at http://www.tradewindrenewableenergy.com